What Is Meta Title?
Meta Title is an HTML tag used in the head section of web pages to represent the title of the page, most commonly Meta Title is used for search bots, directories to find the title for relevancy. Meta Title is the summarized title of any web page and it is used by search bots to find the relevancy of content, for the SERP for search query results. For the search engines purpose meta title is visible in search results for queries, It is the large blue text displayed in search results.
Meta Titles has also great value for social shares, it is visible on social sites when you share the web page. In most cases, meta title tag is considered as the Facebook “og title” and Twitter card and similar to other social websites. The same thing applies for Meta Description Tag also. The Meta Title and Description is closely similar to each other in case of external effects of the page.
Meta Title in Google Search Result:
|Meta Title and Description Tag Visible in Search Result|
Meta Title in Bing Search Result:
|Meta Title and Description Tag in Bing Search Result|
The Meta Title Tag is also visible in the browser, you can view the meta title tag used in any web page without going to the source code. To view the Meta Title Tag used in the browser, simply open the page in the browser and take your mouse to the top of the tab, the text visible is the Meta Title of the page.
In this way you can see Meta Title externally at following places:
- In the browser tab after opening the page
- In search results of search engines
- In the source code of the web page
- and In social shares
How To Use Meta Title and Description Tag:
Meta Title Tag is always used in the head section of the web page, head section of the web page looks like the following in source code:
Meta Title Tag is used in the head section and most commonly the Meta Title look like the following in the source code of web page:
<title>Title Of The Page The Page Up to 48 to 70 Characters</title>
In the same way, The Meta Description has also major impact in SERPs, the meta description code may look like the following in HTML code.
<meta name=”description” content=”Description of the page up to 120 to 160 characters”>
Please view the image as an example of Meta Title, Meta Codes and Head Section of the web page.
|Meta Title Tag in The Head Section|
Importance of Meta Title and Description Tag
Here is some advice to follow for Meta Title and Description Tags for major search engines like Google and Bing.
Meta Title and Description Tag Safe Use, Lenght For Search Engines
- Write a unique Meta Title Tag for each page
- Google truncates maximum 70 characters of the Meta Title Tag
- Google recommends and truncates maximum 160 characters in Meta Description Tag
- 65 Characters in Meta Title is the best for Bing
- Bing Webmaster suggest using 160 characters length in Meta Description
- Use at least 48 characters and maximum 70 character is length for Meta Title
- Have a meaningful Meta Title in your page relevant to the content, it should look like a summarized heading of the full content
- Avoid repeating your main keyword more than one time in Meta Title, if you repeat the same keyword maximum times it will look like stuffing and it hurts the SERP
- Meta Description is the summarized information of the content, it should be used very carefully the explain your content, products, services etc. of the web page
- Write at least 120 characters to maximum 160 characters in length in meta description tag
- Make it unique, informative and write the meta description tag without keyword stuffing to see the improvement in search engine results.