Online shopping is rapidly growing and research shows that consumers who prefer to buy from e-commerce sites are increasing by the day. Most businesses, therefore, are looking for ways to generate organic traffic to their websites, huge traffic means more sales for your business. The way to do this is to improve your search ranking through search engine optimization (SEO).
Basically how SEO for e-commerce works is by ensuring that your website gains visibility in the popular search engines like Yahoo, Google, and Bing. Most online buyers use the search engines to search for a product before buying. The site that is top at the search result will gain more traffic which in turn translates to more sales. How then do we get your site there?
Here are a few SEO tips on how you can increase e-commerce sales with SEO:
Research shows that more than half of the online shoppers about 60% rely on mobile devices to do their shopping. It is therefore important to optimize your site to be mobile friendly, bringing it to the top search and therefore increasing traffic. There are a few important things to note that helps to make your site more mobile friendly.
- Ensure that the content on the mobile site is the same as the one on the desktop site
- Use a well responsive mobile design
- Make sure the mobile loading time and speed is good
- Use a consumer-friendly Button size
- Ensure that your mobile site is easy to navigate
- Matching content to your desktop website
Consumers have many choices to choose from when it comes to sites selling what they are looking for, making sure that your site performance is the best will allow you to make more sales.
Three ways to make sure that your website is performing reliably:
- Website security– Make sure that your consumer browsing is secure by migrating it to HTTPS
- Loading speed– Making sure that your site speed is fast, some of the speed issues are image sizes, server responses, browser caching, too many plugins and inefficient code
- Status code errors– Check for 404 errors and improper 302 redirects. Sometimes these errors may also affect the speed of the page
Your site design should be easily understood and easy to interact with. Sites with a complex structure to navigate through are ranked low by the search engines.
You can audit your navigation structure by:
- Using tools like screaming frog to check the website
- Create user-friendly URLs that make sense to the search engines and the customers as well
- Check your internal site search. Make sure that your on-site search is leading users to the right products
The right Meta description can help increase the chances of getting traffic when your site comes up in search results. Meta descriptions are short, 155-character-long, summaries of contents in a page. One should create a unique description to accurately represent the page. Beta descriptions for e-commerce should include the product name and the related keywords for the research.
A blog can increase the chances of your site visitors making a purchase; this is because blogging gives you an opportunity to show your products through pictures, videos, descriptions. Blogging also increases chances that other websites may reference your links in their posts; this improves your sites search ranking.
Here are a few tips to help you to bring traffic through blogging:
- Be real, original, relevant and educative
- Create catchy titles that are SEO friendly
- Be consistent and make sure to post high quality and relevant content
- Write guest posts for established blogs
Getting the right e-commerce keyword criteria is important for SEO optimization. The keywords one chooses should ensure that the sight gets heavy traffic which in turn translates to customers who may make purchases. The keyword used should not compete with other brands selling the same product so it’s advisable to use long keywords. This ensures that long keywords give a specific description of what someone is looking for.
Videos have a way of creating ways to interact with the customers. When customers spend time at your website they are more likely to make a purchase. Also by spending time watching the videos, they spend more time in the website and this sends a signal to search engines like Google that the page has value.
In conclusion, e-commerce is very competitive and creating a solid SEO strategy will ultimately improve your website performance and hence create more sales.